McClintock Chime Clock

McClintock Chime Clock

Updated: April 2019


A Chime Clock as a Form of Advertisement

As the name suggests, a chime clock rings loudly, which typically follows a well-known tune such as the familiar Westminster tune from Big Ben in London, England.

In the 1900s, it was common for banks to install McClintock Chime Clocks because they seem to have “unusual pulling power of advertisement” as the Minneapolis Golden Jubilee wrote in 1917.

The gentleman, who invented these clocks, was O.B. McClintock. In 1901 O.B. McClintock came to Minneapolis and founded the American Bank Protection Company, which produced burglar alarm systems. After his resignation in 1908, he opened the O.B. McClintock Company to “manufacture electrical chime and clock systems,” which he sold to financial institutions all across the United States. The Minneapolis Golden Jubilee further explains that “these chimes and clocks not only advertise financial institutions in a dignified, impressive manner but add to the refinement and culture of the community which they adorn.”


Known for their “unusual pulling power of advertisement,”  McClintock Chime Clocks  were very common for banks in the 1900s. The clock was fully restored in 2013. The blue-green patina of the copper casing was purposely left untouched to give the clock authenticity. On the hour, the clock chimes to the familiar Westminster tune from Big Ben in London, England.

Known for their “unusual pulling power of advertisement,” McClintock Chime Clocks were very common for banks in the 1900s. The clock was fully restored in 2013. The blue-green patina of the copper casing was purposely left untouched to give the clock authenticity. On the hour, the clock chimes to the familiar Westminster tune from Big Ben in London, England.


Installation

Sometime between 1923 and 1927, one of these McClintock Chime Clocks was installed on the State Trust building at the corner of 4th Avenue East and Main Street. According to the Tribune papers, the clock symbolized “faith in the future growth of Hendersonville.”

Restoration

In 2013, the clock was fully restored. Passers-by can now read its time as they did in the early 1900s. At night, the clock is now also illuminated. Over the many years, the copper of the clock’s casing discolored and turned to a blue-green patina, which was left untouched during the restoration to give the clock authenticity.



Corner of 400 North Main Street and 4th Avenue East, Hendersonville NC, 28792

 
 
 

All day.

The clock chimes on the full hour.


All year.


Street parking.